After School Matters is a nonprofit organization that offers Chicago public high school teens high-quality, out-of-school-time opportunities to explore and develop their talents, while gaining critical skills for work, college, and beyond. Our hands-on, project-based arts, science, sports, technology, and communications programs are delivered at Chicago public high schools, various community locations throughout the city, and downtown at Gallery 37 Center for the Arts.
Summary of Position:
The Marketing and Creative Specialist is responsible for supporting the Communications Department by building positive awareness of After School Matters and the impact it has on Chicago teens. The position will help to enhance the organization’s brand through a wide variety of marketing and graphic design support; showcasing success stories of programs, teens and instructors through paid media, social media, direct outreach and various marketing tools (both printed and digital).
This is a full-time position.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the distribution and communication of marketing strategies and tools both internally and externally.
- Responsible for day-to-day monitoring and maintaining of the After School Matters website, including creating new content. Report on activity/analytics weekly.
- Develop daily content for social media platforms, maintain current platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, Instagram, LinkedIn and Snapchat) and explore new channels. Report on activity/analytics daily.
- Responsible for day-to-day creation of organizational graphic design needs, including acting as primary liaison to program staff and instructors on graphic design protocol and Brand Guidelines.
- Support year-round teen recruitment marketing strategies.
- Attend and photograph program performances, showcases, etc. to support future print and digital promotional efforts. Interview teens and partners for content.
- Review organizational and development materials to ensure inclusion of appropriate branding critical to the success of achieving internal and external communications goals and objectives.
- Create and edit marketing videos to be used for promotional purposes and recruitment opportunities.
- Communicate in a positive, effective manner with teens, staff, program providers, and other stakeholders.
- Support public and media events such as press conferences, community meetings and high-profile opportunities.
- Coordinate with staff members to identify key opportunities where After School Matters can engage and drive its brand through recruitment, marketing, and fundraising.
- Coordinate with print and design vendors to ensure timely completion of projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Marketing Intern and/or Volunteer
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds occasionally.
- Must be able to sit and work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Must be able to travel throughout Chicago occasionally.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat and Microsoft PPT; Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premier is a plus.
- Excellent graphic design, photography and video skills, and knowledge of website management – specifically content development and editing (WordPress, basic HTML) is required.
- Strong Typography skills
- Some experience with digital and print media management – specifically, best practices for strategy and implementation of graphic design, photo, video, social media and other projects as needed.
- Experience with executing a social media plan—specifically, best practices for strategy and implementation of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Snapchat content.
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to handle multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Proficient written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to use excellent judgment to manage workflow and elevate priority issues to the Marketing Manager.
- Able to establish friendly working relationships with external vendors.
- Works well in a team environment.
- Ability to travel regularly to visit After School Matters programs across the City of Chicago.
- Availability for weekend and evening commitments with flexibility.
- One-to-three years previous experience in marketing, visual communications, digital media or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, graphic design, digital media, visual communications or related major.
- Cook County residency required.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume at http://afterschoolmatters.applytojob.com/apply
After School Matters is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, military discharge status, age, marital status, parental status, or source of income.